Nestled in the San Gabriel Valley is an award-winning school district that is on the move…Rowland Unified School District. As you visit our family friendly schools, you quickly realize innovation has been unleashed. Our passionate educators are embracing new technology and working collaboratively to provide innovative learning for all – for our students, staff, and parents. Step into our classrooms to see our dedicated teachers at work, igniting learning and engaging students in rigorous instruction. Programs are innovative in the use of technology, focus on college and career readiness, and prepare students to be creative problem solvers. Choices abound with Honors, Advanced Placement (AP), GATE, AVID, International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools, Career Pathways, Dual Language Immersion, Music, Arts and Athletics.
We are proud of our commitment to Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math. It’s not often you find state-of-the-art science labs, engineering and robotics classes beginning at the elementary school level! Thanks to our community, every RUSD school has been modernized.
As a direct result of the vision of laying the educational technology infrastructure years in advance, Rowland Unified was able to pivot quickly and move from a traditional brick and mortar organization to an all virtual learning setting in a single weekend when the pandemic hit. Online learning brought light to the insufficient internet access for families and the District quickly purchased and provided 3,335 hot spots to students, as well as specialized technology to meet the needs of the District’s homeless population who didn’t have access to WIFI.
Students enrolled at Rowland Unified School District receive an early start on success through the District’s Dual Language Immersion Programs. Beginning in Kindergarten, students enrolled in the Dual Program learn to read, write, and speak Chinese or Spanish. These students benefit from increased opportunities for academic achievement and become highly motivated and skilled for college and career. Spanish Dual Language Immersion Programs are offered at Rorimer and Hurley Elementary Schools and Mandarin Dual Language Immersion and schoolwide enrichment is offered at Shelyn Elementary.
Continuing its focus on access, equity and excellence, Rowland Unified launched its Music for All program in 2016. Understanding that music education supports academic success and a creative outlet for many students, every student starting in first grade receives music education taught by a credentialed music teacher once per week throughout elementary school. Additional weekly lessons are also provided after school at no cost to the family. As students enter middle and high school, they are able to continue their music interests in individualized classes for choir, band, guitar, mariachi, orchestra or jazz band. Students have performed in the Macy’s Day Parade and London's New Year’s Day Parade and most recently, students have been invited to play in 2022 at Carnegie Hall.
The District’s College Connect program addresses access program addresses access to a four year university to our students at promise, to provide every support needed through the college exploration, application, scholarship and acceptance process. This student population requires specialized and individualized assistance to bring their dreams into reality. The first year it was established, all 24 participants were offered admission into one of their top choice schools. The following year 73 students were accepted. The program continues to grow and students have been awarded prestigious scholarships such as the Gates Millennium, Horatio Alger, Coca Cola and Edison STEM scholarships.
Rowland Unified School District continues to receive awards and accolades for its high achieving schools:
- California Distinguished Schools - The state’s highest designation for excellence in education, named for their outstanding educational programs that meet student needs, resulting in student achievement and success: Rowland High School (2021 and 2019), Blandford Elementary (2020), Killian Elementary (2020 and 2018), Ybarra Academy of Arts and Technology (2020).
- Alvarado Intermediate School was named for the sixth time as one of California’s “Schools to Watch™ – Taking Center Stage” model middle schools. This state and national distinction identifies Alvarado Intermediate as a high-performing middle grade school in the areas of academic excellence, responsiveness to the needs of young adolescents and social equity and the school has retained their designation for this award.
- 2020 California Model Continuation High School: Santana High School
- 2020 CABE SEAL OF EXCELLENCE AWARD: HURLEY ELEMENTARY. The California Association of Bilingual Education Seal of Excellence Award was given to Hurley Elementary – one of only three schools in the state recognized for exemplary bilingual education programs and outstanding opportunities to serve the needs of English Learners.
- 2016 California Gold Ribbon Schools: Hollingworth Elementary, Jellick Elementary, Shelyn Elementary, Stanley G. Oswalt Academy, Telesis Academy of Science & Math, Villacorta Elementary, and Ybarra Academy of the Arts and Technology.
Explore Our Schools! For more information about Rowland Unified, the community can call (626) 965-2541 or visit www.rowlandschools.org, Facebook.com/RowlandUSD, Twitter @RowlandSchools #WeAreRUSD, Instagram @RowlandUSD.
Board Vision: The Rowland Unified School District promotes, expects and accepts nothing short of excellence. We have a collective commitment to be the best school district in California.