Rowland Unified School District values the cultural and linguistic diversity of our community by recognizing bilingual competency through a wide range of criteria.
The Biliteracy Award (BCA) was first given in Spring 2006. The goals of the award are to:
- Better prepare students for post-secondary experiences.
- Encourage students to go beyond the A-G foreign language requirements.
- Develop a rigorous, standard based foreign language program.
- Promote community awareness and support for the Bilingual Competency Award program.
- Provide opportunity for all students to demonstrate foreign language and heritage (primary) language competency.
The BCA consists of
- A medallion for meeting requirements in a foreign language
- A RUSD bilingual recognition seal on the diploma
Students wishing to receive the Biliteracy Award (BCA) must submit an application form and meet the following requirements:
- Overall 2.0 GPA
- Successful completion of all high school requirements in English
One of the following
- Four (4) years of the same foreign language with 3.0 overall GPA
- Completion of the IB or AP level course with a 3.0 overall GPA in the foreign language courses
- Passing score on an AP/IB exam (score of 3 or better)
- Passing score on a RUSD foreign language exam (Korean and Tagalog- to be determined)
The award can currently be earned in Spanish, French, Chinese, Korean and Tagalog.