District English Learner Advisory Committee
In RUSD there is a functioning District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC). The Director of Special Projects/GATE/English Language Learners, coordinates and conducts quarterly DELAC meetings.
Parents or guardians of English Learners (ELs) not employed by the district must constitute a majority (at least 51%) membership of the DELAC. Each school’s English learner advisory committee (ELAC) has the opportunity to elect at least one parent member and alternate to the DELAC. DELAC representatives report back to their ELAC or school site committees.
The purpose of the DELAC is to advise the RUSD Board of Education (in person and/or in writing) on all of the following tasks:
- Development of a district master plan for educational programs and services for English learners that takes into consideration the Single Plan for Student Achievement.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishment of a district program, goals, and objectives for programs and services for ELs.
- Development of a plan to ensure compliance with any applicable teacher and/or teacher aide requirements.
- Administration of the annual language census – R-30 (e.g., procedures and forms).
- Review and comment on the district reclassification procedures.
- Review and comment on the written parent notifications required to be sent to parents and guardians.
RUSD provides training and materials, planned in full consultation with committee members, appropriate to assist members in carrying out their legal advisory responsibilities.