The Community Advisory Committee (CAC) promotes and encourages positive connections among students, parents, and Rowland Unified School District by providing guidance in special education so all students become successful, lifelong learners.
California Education Code (Part 30, Chapter 2, Article 7, 56190) requires each Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) to establish a Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for Special Education. CAC serves in an advisory capacity to the Board of Education and Special Education administration on the implementation of the Local Plan.
This plan is a legal document that describes how Rowland Unified School District provides services to students with exceptional needs. CAC membership is comprised of parents with students who receive special education services, parents with students in general education, district staff from both special and general education, community agency representatives and any community member who is interested in special education.
The duties and responsibilities of the CAC include the following:
● Advising the administration of the Rowland Unified School District (District) regarding the development,
amendment, and review of the Local Plan and the review of special programs and related services.
● Making annual recommendations on needs, goals, and priorities based on the Local Plan.
● Assisting in parent education and training on special education programs, issues, rights, and
responsibilities, leadership development, and other issues as identified by parent-members of the CAC.
● Recruiting parents and other volunteers who may contribute to the implementation of the Local Plan.
● Encouraging public involvement in the development and ongoing review of the Local Plan.
● Acting in support of individuals with disabilities and participating in awareness programs and in-servicing
for parents, students, educators, and community members, as outlined in the Local Plan.
● Becoming familiar with the current laws and regulations pertaining to special education and related
services for individuals with disabilities.
● Encouraging community involvement in local schools.
● Supporting district-wide and local school activities on behalf of individuals with disabilities.
● Assisting in parent awareness of the importance of regular school attendance.
● Establishing and fulfilling other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary by the CAC and
approved by the District Board of Trustees (Board)
Any parent of a student in the district, as well as staff or community members may attend and participate in CAC meetings. Membership is NOT required.
Are you interested in a taking on a formal role in the CAC by becoming a member? Please download the following attachment for membership application: Once you have filled out the membership application, submit it to the Special Education Department at 1928 S. Nogales Street, Rowland Heights, CA 91748. It may also be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scheduled Meeting Dates and Times
• September 22, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m.
• October 20, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m.
• November 17, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m.
(Register to Attend by Clicking Here)
(Submit a CAC Business Meeting Speaker Request by Clicking Here)
• February 23, 2021 @ TBD
• April 27, 2021 @ TBD
Possible Special Event
Very Special Arts Festival / Family Art Night - March 23, 2021
Member Only Planning Meeting
May 25, 2021 @ TBD
Please join the CAC from 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 17, 2020. The CAC is hosting a special webinar for parents of students with special needs. The title of the presentation is "Well-Being and Mental Health." Advance registration is required.
To register for this webinar and receive a link to attend, please Click Here
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Please click on the link below to give us some feedback on your distance learning experience: