Community Advisory Committee (CAC)
Providing a high-quality special education experience for each child involves a team effort, and parent participation is central to meeting student needs. Collaboration with parents through the Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) is facilitated through the Community Advisory Committee (CAC). The CAC is a vital component of providing effective special education programs, and it is commissioned by law and reflects the communities it serves. The CAC comprises parents, educators, pupils and adults with disabilities, representatives of public and private agencies, and persons concerned with the needs of individuals with disabilities. The school district governing board appoints the Members following locally determined selection procedures described in the SELPA Local Plan.
The CAC is designed to be a dynamic, collaborative partnership of educators, parents, and community members. The active membership of each CAC meets the mandate of informed parent-community involvement between those who provide Special Education programs and services and those who receive Special Education programs and services.
Community Advisory Committees have specific and vital roles and responsibilities which are reviewed in detail in the California SELPA Community Advisory Committee Guide, 5th Edition, 2022.
The duties and responsibilities of the CAC include the following:
● Advising the administration of the Rowland Unified School District (District) regarding the development,
amendment, and review of the Local Plan and the review of special programs and related services.
● Making annual recommendations on needs, goals, and priorities based on the Local Plan.
● Assisting in parent education and training on special education programs, rights, responsibilities, leadership development, and other issues as identified by members of the CAC.
● Recruiting parents and other volunteers who may contribute to implementing the Local Plan.
● Encouraging public involvement in the development and ongoing review of the Local Plan.
● Acting in support of individuals with disabilities and participating in awareness programs and in-servicing
for parents, students, educators, and community members, as outlined in the Local Plan.
● Becoming familiar with the current laws and regulations about special education and related
services for individuals with disabilities.
● Encouraging community involvement in local schools.
● Supporting district-wide and local school activities on behalf of individuals with disabilities.
● Assisting in parent awareness of the importance of regular school attendance.
● Establishing and fulfilling other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary by the CAC and
approved by the District Board of Trustees (Board)
CAC meetings are open meetings, meaning anyone interested may attend the meetings. CAC meetings provide parents with up-to-date information on issues that impact their children, the opportunity to communicate with school administrators, and the chance to connect with other parents. Membership is NOT required.
Are you interested in taking on a formal role in the CAC by becoming a member? Please download the membership application. Once you have filled out the membership application, please submit it to the Special Education Department at 1928 S. Nogales Street, Rowland Heights, CA 91748. It may also be emailed to: [email protected]
Scheduled Meeting Dates and Times
Parent Workshop 5:00 - 6:00 PM
Business Meeting 4:00 - 5:00 PM
* September 20, 2022 (Meeting Completed)
* October 18, 2022 (Meeting Completed)
* December 13, 2022 (Meeting Completed)
* February 21, 2023 (Register to Attend)
* April 18, 2023 (Register to Attend)
(Submit a CAC Business Meeting Speaker Request by Clicking Here)
- March 21, 2023 - A Very Special Art Festival
Please join the CAC Business Meeting from 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Parent Workshop begins immediately after the conclusion of the business meeting (5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.).
Advance registration is required. A flyer and registration link for each event will be sent through Parent Square. The registration link is also available above. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Meeting of September 20, 2022 (Coming Soon)
Meeting of October 18, 2022 (Coming Soon)
Meeting of December 13, 2022 (Coming Soon)
Meeting of February 21, 2023 (Coming Soon)
Meeting of April 18, 2023 (Coming Soon)