When Should I Test My Child for COVID?
How to use the iHealth at home COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test
Rowland Unified Families:
Thank you for your continued support and help with keeping our schools safe. As a reminder, please test for COVID when:
- Your child has COVID -19 symptoms such as cold/flu symptoms, headache, fever, or nausea.
- Your child has been notified that they are a close contact to someone who has tested positive. Report positive test results to your school.
Per the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, the following requirements apply if you are notified that your child is a close contact to someone who tests positive:
- If your child has recovered from COVID 19 in the last 90 days and are asymptomatic, they do not need to quarantine or test.
- If your child is fully vaccinated, they do not need to quarantine. They are able to stay in school if they do not have symptoms and test on, or close to day 5. Day 4, 5 or 6 is acceptable.
- Students who are not fully vaccinated must quarantine after exposure. They may test on or after day 5 and if the test result is negative, they may return to school.
Any student who tests positive, regardless of vaccination status, previous COVID infection, or lack of symptoms must isolate. Isolation can end after day 5 if symptoms are not present or are resolving/reducing, there is no fever, and a COVID test is taken on or after day 5 and the result is negative. When taking a subsequent test, post infection, the test should be an antigen rapid test and not a PCR test. If the test result is positive or a fever is present, without the use of fever reducing medicine, isolation should continue. Isolation may conclude after day 10.
To calculate the days, Day 0 is your first day of symptoms or if asymptomatic, the date of the positive test, or date of exposure. Day 1 is the first full day of isolation or first day of quarantine or post exposure.
Your child must not attend school if they are experiencing symptoms or test positive. Report positive tests to your school.
There is free COVID testing offered at the District Office Monday – Friday from 11:30 AM – 6 PM. For more information, visit rowlandschools.org.
If you have specific questions for our COVID Response Team, please email them to: [email protected]