La Puente -- November 28, 2007 -- U.S. Congresswoman Hilda L. Solis (32nd District) visited Rorimer Elementary yesterday, to see first hand the school's successful 2-Way Language Immersion Program.
The goal of the program is for students to become biliterate and perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages (English and Spanish). Students also develop respect for other cultures and experience working and playing in multicultural settings. Biliterate skills give students the options for careers requiring multilingual skills.
In Grades K-1, students spend 80% of time learning Spanish Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science, 20% in English Language Development,Calendar and Math activities. As the grades progress, the percentage of time changes to 50% spent learning in English and Spanish in Grades 4 and 5.
For more information, call Rorimer Elementary School at (626) 965-3333.
- Congresswoman Hilda Solis (center) with Rorimer student leaders Reyna Maldonado and Karina Pinedo, along with RUSD Superintendent Dr. Maria Ott (left) and Rorimer Principal Audrey Hicks (right).
- Congresswoman Solis visits Teacher Monica Hernandez' Kindergarten classroom.
- Teacher Dalila Arana and students welcome Congresswoman Solis.
- Congresswoman Solis donates English and Spanish books to Rorimer Elementary's new Wonder of Reading Library (that will open Dec. 10). Pictured is RUSD Board member Heidi Gallegos, Congresswoman Solis, Principal Audrey Hicks, Superintendent Dr. Ott and Vice Principal Sarah Whitmore.
- Congresswoman Solis presents certificates to Rorimer Elementary and Rowland Unified.