New This Year: School Tours Offered at All Schools on Feb. 24
ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA – FEBRUARY 5, 2015 – It is time to register for the 2015/16 School Year in the Rowland Unified School District (RUSD)! Parents of children entering Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten and new students through grade 12 can pick up registration packets at all schools starting Tuesday, February 17. New this year will be a Districtwide School Tour Day on Tuesday, February 24 at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. All RUSD Elementary, K-8, Intermediate, and High Schools in the District will provide tours at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., allowing visits to more than one location. Registration packets can be returned for processing starting Wednesday, February 25. For Rowland Registration information call (626) 935-8260 (assistance is available in English, Chinese, Korean and Spanish) or visit www.RowlandSchools.org. If you need to find your home school, visit www.RowlandSchools.org/MySchoolLocator. The 2015/16 school year begins on August 17, 2015.
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) classes are available at all elementary schools throughout the District. TK is a bridge between preschool and Kindergarten, giving younger children (students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and December 2) more time for hands-on, interactive learning. TK provides a high-quality Kindergarten readiness at no cost to parents with classes taught by credentialed teachers. For more questions about Transitional Kindergarten, parents can visit www.tkcalifornia.org or speak with RUSD TK Specialist Annabelle Danneman at (626) 854-8544.
District Specialty Programs: RUSD is proud of its award-winning schools and enrichment programs. Below are just a few highlights. More information about all RUSD schools and programs can be found at www.RowlandSchools.org or by downloading the free Rowland Unified School District Mobile App, available on iOs or Android devices.
· All elementary schools, as well as selected intermediate schools in RUSD, offer before-and-after-school care starting at 6:30 a.m. with after school care until 6 p.m. by Options Surround Care, a licensed day-care provider. Additional after-school enrichment programs are throughout the District and vary at each school site.
· ACADEMICS: Other specialty programs include International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools, Advanced Placement (AP), HONORS, GATE, “No Excuses University” and AVID college culture schools.
· LANGUAGES: Across the District students can learn a foreign language. Spanish Dual Language Immersion and Bilingual Programs begin in Kindergarten, at Intermediate and High Schools Chinese, French, Pilipino and Spanish is offered.
· MUSIC AND ENRICHMENT: Rowland has a strong commitment to the arts and is one of the few Districts to offer instrumental music in all of its elementary, middle and high schools. The Elementary Instrumental Program begins with strings in 4th grade and band in 5th grade. There is also a District Mariachi and District Honor Orchestra. Sports and enrichment programs such as Robotics, Engineering, Science Olympiad and after-school language classes are at several schools.
· COLLEGE & CAREER FOCUSED: Rowland Unified School District educators have been trained in the Common Core and the District is committed to teaching the new rigorous, research-based standards designed to prepare every student for success in college and the workforce. RUSD is proud that both Nogales and Rowland High Schools offer a wide array of AP and Honor Classes, the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, and the unique Career Certification Program, where students can study one of six career pathways: Arts & Communications, Business, Family & Consumer Sciences, Health & Medical Services, Public & Human Services, and Technology. Each year RUSD students are accepted and attend the nation’s most prestigious colleges and universities and earn more than $2 million in scholarships.