ROWLAND UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT TK-12 ENROLLMENT FOR 2014/15 SCHOOL YEAR BEGINS APRIL 7
ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA – MARCH 25, 2014 – The Rowland Unified School District (RUSD) is pleased to announce that enrollment for the 2014-2015 school year for Transitional Kindergarteners/Kindergarteners and new students through grade12 begins April 7, 2014. Parents can pick up registration packets at school sites beginning today, Tuesday, March 25. Parents who need to find their home school can click on My School Locator at www.rowlandschools.org or call the Pupil Services Office at (626) 935-8203.
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) classes are available at all elementary schools throughout the District. TK is a bridge between preschool and Kindergarten, giving younger children (students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and December 2) more time for hands-on, interactive learning and provides a high-quality Kindergarten readiness at no cost to parents with classes taught by credentialed teachers. For more questions about Transitional Kindergarten, parents can visit www.tkcalifornia.org or speak with RUSD TK Specialist Annabelle Danneman at (626) 854-8544.
School of Choice Applicants: On April 7, parents of students accepted to a school of choice for the 2014-2015 school year must start the enrollment process. The parents of students accepted through the Choice program must complete and turn in all required enrollment packets and documentation to the schools of choice, by Wednesday, April 30, 2014. If the parent fails to submit the required enrollment packet and documentation, Choice is forfeited and the student will need to enroll at their school of residence for the 2014-2015 school year.
Specialty Programs: RUSD is proud of its award-winning schools and enrichment programs. Below are just a few highlights. More information about all RUSD schools and programs can be found at www.RowlandSchools.org or by downloading the free Rowland Unified School District Mobile App, available on iOs or Android devices.
· All elementary schools, as well as selected intermediate schools in RUSD, offer before-and-after-school care starting at 6:30 a.m. with after school care until 6 p.m. by Options Surround Care, a licensed day-care provider. Additional after-school enrichment programs are throughout the District and vary at each school site.
· Spanish Dual Language Immersion Begins in Kindergarten at Rorimer Elementary: Parents looking for their children to learn to write and speak Spanish fluently can enroll in the Dual Language Immersion Program at Rorimer Elementary. Please call Rorimer Elementary at (626)965-3333 or visit www.rorimerschool.org.
· Spanish Bilingual Program Offered at Hurley Elementary: Hurley Elementary School offers a Bilingual Program to students in grades TK-6 whose primary language is Spanish and who are English Language Learners. This program builds upon the student’s primary language of Spanish and emphasizes a strong English component to prepare the students for academic success in English by second grade. Please call Hurley Elementary at (626)965-2429 or visit www.hurleyelemschool.org
· Three K-8 Academies: Both Stanley G. Oswalt Academy and Ybarra Academy of Arts and Technology are International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme schools (PYP). The rigorous global curriculum focuses on developing inquiring, caring young people who embrace their own culture and are open to world views. For more information, call Stanley G. Oswalt Academy at (626)810-4109 or visit www.oswaltacademy.org or call Ybarra Academy at (909)598-3744 or visit www.ybarraacademy.org. Telesis Academy of Science & Math features three new state-of-the-art science labs and is a specialized school in the sciences with the ultimate goal of being a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) school. Call (626)965-1696 or visit www.telesisacademy.net.
· Music and Enrichment Programs: Rowland has a strong commitment to the arts and is one of the few Districts to offer instrumental music in all of its elementary, middle and high schools. The Elementary Instrumental Program begins with strings in 4th grade and band in 5th grade. Mariachi has also been added at two elementary and one middle school. Elementary sports and enrichment programs such as Science Olympiad and after-school language classes are at several schools.
· College & Career Focused: Rowland Unified School District educators have been trained in the Common Core and the District is committed to teaching the new rigorous, research-based standards designed to prepare every student for success in college and the workforce. RUSD is proud that both Nogales and Rowland High Schools offer a wide array of AP and Honor Classes, the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, and the unique Career Certification Program, where students can study one of six career pathways: Arts & Communications, Business, Family & Consumer Sciences, Health & Medical Services, Public & Human Services, and Technology. Each year RUSD students are accepted and attend the nation’s most prestigious colleges and universities and earn more than $2 million in scholarships.
For general information regarding enrolling your student(s) in any RUSD program or school, please feel free to call Pupil Services at (626) 935-8203 for further assistance.