District Direction 1: Academic Achievement for All Students
Provide comprehensive, well-rounded, and rigorous educational experiences for all
students, which are supported by engaging teaching strategies and sustained with high-quality
professional development for all staff, leading all schools and subgroups to meet or exceed growth
- Focus Area 1.1: Strengthen our instruction and alignment with the California State Standards and
District Framework for Teaching and Learning to deliver curriculum to students in a rigorous and
balanced format that fosters critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, and
communication skills through diverse learning opportunities for all students.
- Focus Area 1.2: Support English Learners through Designated and Integrated ELD content classes,
language-rich learning environments, and full access to core classes.
- Focus Area 1.3: Implement systems and structures for targeted instruction and monitoring
of individual student progress to increase achievement for all students, including significant
subgroups; consisting of English learners, students with disabilities and socioeconomically
disadvantaged students; to close the achievement gap and increase overall student achievement.
District Direction 2: College and Career Readiness/21st Century Skills
The Rowland Unified School District will encourage all students to reach their fullest potential by
preparing all students for college and careers with integration of 21st century skills.
- Focus Area 2.1: Increase the student graduation rate, including significant subgroups.
- Focus Area 2.2: Increase the percentage of college ready graduates through increased enrollment and
successful completion of A-G, AP/IB, and honors courses.
- Focus Area 2.3: Expand and enhance Career Technical Education, Career Pathways and STEAM courses
and activities throughout the District.
- Focus Area 2.4: Embed the effective use of technology in all areas to enhance learning.
District Direction 3: Communicate and Collaborate
The Rowland Unified School District is committed to a culture of collaboration and
open, transparent communication to assure accurate, timely information, which will engage,
inform, and educate all stakeholders.
- Focus Area 3.1: Continue to develop and refine avenues and practices for effective communication
and collaboration between and among District staff, students, parents, and community.
- Focus Area 3.2: Promote the District and its programs.
District Direction 4: Fiscal Responsibility and Facilities
Responsibly manage and allocate financial resources to maximize students' educational experiences
while closely monitoring the budget and enrollment, making timely adjustments to staffing,
services, programs, and budgets to maintain District solvency. Develop plans to provide, safe and
clean facilities on both a short-
and long-term basis that appropriately and effectively house the programmatic needs of our
- Focus Area 4.1: Design, develop, and implement the annual budget and multi-year plan to support a
high quality instructional program for students which meets the state funding model requirements
and ensures the fiscal stability of the District.
- Focus Area 4.2: Develop and implement a long-range facility master plan to meet the needs of the
District by providing learning environments that foster student success and achievement.
- Focus Area 4.3: Provide timely communication and oversight for all fiscal and budget matters, as
well as, all facilities projects.
- Focus Area 4.4: Explore and implement strategies and programs to attract new students and reduce
District Direction 5: Student and Staff Safety and Wellness
District and school plans, educational programs, and operational procedures will promote the health
and safety of our students and staff.
- Focus Area 5.1: Teach and reinforce character development as an integral component in educating the
- Focus Area 5.2: Provide professional development, including emergency drills and simulations which
strengthen the response plan at school sites and the District Office, to best prepare staff to
respond in the event of a natural disaster or emergency.
- Focus Area 5.3: Continue and expand positive District-wide behavior and intervention systems to
actively support and promote increased student time for learning, student engagement and academic
- Focus Area 5.4: Assess the needs at each site and implement safety measures to provide a safe and
secure setting for all students and staff.
- Focus Area 5.5: Provide nutritious and appealing meal choices that support student
academic achievement and well-being.
District Direction 6: Leadership
An exemplary school district has strong leadership at all levels of the organization that is
committed to providing a world-class educational experience for all students and is
dedicated to improving student achievement, as well as promoting collaboration and
creativity among students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Focus Area 6.1: Promote and implement the District’s Vision.
- Focus Area 6.2: Recruit, hire, and retain the highest quality staff for all positions in the
- Focus Area 6.3: Provide high quality and relevant professional development opportunities for
District employees to grow and engage in continuous improvement efforts.
- Focus Area 6.4: Establish Professional Learning Communities to promote instructional leadership and
positive district culture.
- Focus Area 6.5: Facilitate stakeholder participation in the decision-making process.
- Focus Area 6.6: Celebrate the achievements of all staff and students and work to
ensure the acceptance of diverse populations.