Senior Server Analyst
· Installs, configures and maintains District Office and site based business critical servers, including but not limited to servers related to Student Information System, database/application servers, web servers, email servers, proxy servers, caching engines, data warehousing, and other servers necessary to the operation of the District.
o Spec out servers according to system needs. I.e. HA (High Availability), Memory, CPU, NIC teaming, Storage etc....
o Physically rack-up and cable servers.
o Make frequent visits to server room whether a problem is reported or not.
§ Temperature may be high.
§ Hard disk may be failing and an alarm is sounding.
§ Battery in UPS may be dead and alarm is sounding.
§ Environmental hazard such as moisture leak from ceiling or AC unit.
· Plans for electrical power usage, battery backup, and temperature control.
o Spec-out and install all battery backup systems for servers.
o Monitor power usage and temperature from module in battery backup.
o Spec-out and request adequate AC for servers.
· Provides support, administers and maintains assigned networks, servers, computers and operating system platforms; plans, builds, installs, configures, maintains and repairs a variety of servers, routers, switches, wireless access points, computer lab and staff workstations and other devices.
o Designed and maintain network security model at district MDF level.
o Installed, configured, and continue to maintain Network Firewall between Internet uplink and district network.
o Installed, configured and continue to maintain Internet filter using a passive network topology on mirrored switch ports.
§ Installed, configured and continue to maintain Email filter on network.
§ Installed, configured and continue to maintain Network Analyzer on network.
o Currently involved in a long project of redistributing IP addressing throughout the district.
§ Need to add new subnet or supernet to existing router as secondary network and IP address.
§ Must determine statically mapped devices on network that need to move to new network.
§ Reconfigure local DHCP server to hand out new network addresses.
§ Remove old subnet or supernet from router.
o Support and administration for Exchange (Email/Calendaring) system.
§ Security level administration for distribution lists, delegates, and passwords.
§ SPAM and Malware protection administration.
· Black/White Lists
· Email threat analysis and prevention
· Locate compromised systems
· Maintains administrative control of the domain and maintains security settings and privileges as instructed by the Director of Technology.
o Designed and continue to maintain Active Directory forest structure and policies.
§ Create and enforce security policies.
· Password Complexity, Timeout, and Age Policies.
· Server and Workstation trust relationship policies.
· User and group access policies.
§ Create and enforce software policies.
· Enforce required applications (Antivirus, Power Management)
· Design and manage settings for enforced software.
§ Manage local servers and services.
· Local AD schema administration.
· DHCP Administration.
· DNS Administration.
o Migrate users interdomain.
§ Users moving from site to site.
§ Migrating child domains (sites) into central domain (district office).
o Educate users regarding safe practices.
§ Explaining password complexity.
§ Social engineering prevention.
o Manage DNS, WINS, and Routing interconnectivity.
§ DNS and WINS name resolutions (see 1.c.)
§ Manage and subnet multiple supernets of IP addresses.
§ Configure CISCO IOS routers using command line.
· Performs routine backup of all District based servers and network equipment configurations, via various mediums, to ensure their availability for recovery.
o Microsoft Exchange Server
o Daily backup via Symantec Backup Exec 12
o Microsoft SQL Server (Aeries Client Server( SIS))
§ SQL Backup 3 times a day.
§ Twice a month all backups compressed onto DROBO SAN.
§ Once a year, 1TB+ of backups are stored in Tech Locker.
§ Once a day, current database backed up onto RUSD-DATA server and subsequently backed up on cloud. (MozyPro)
o Microsoft SQL Server (Business)
§ Daily backups to RUSD-DATA backups drive.
§ Cloud replication.
o Data Shares
§ Daily backup with Symantec Backup Exec 12
§ Continuous cloud backup. (MozyPro)
· Designs, develops, installs, configures and maintains network operating system software and network infrastructure applications; maintains software installation libraries; monitors directories and domains and audits server logs to identify performance issues and device failures; installs server fixes and service packs to maintain reliability and security.
o Microsoft SCCM and SUS
§ Approve appropriate Microsoft updates for operating systems and applications.
§ Push out approved updates from central SUS (software update server).
o Restart Servers during “off hours”.
· Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves server connectivity and performance issues; administers network standards, including naming conventions and address protocols; monitors, analyzes and manages network traffic and other conditions to achieve optimal performance and uptime; analyzes server data to minimize network congestion.
o Supernet multiple class C ip addresses depending on school needs.
o Servers all reside on same IP network to reduce router traffic and minimize metric.
· Configures, installs and administers Windows 2003/2008/2012 based email servers, application servers, DHCP server, Domain Controller, Backup servers and Web servers.
· Responsible for server administration including design, monitoring, maintenance and application distribution.
· Designs, installs and administers new security systems and methods; creates and maintains security rights on network resources; maintains and administers the firewall and authentication systems.
o Installed, configured, and administer Fortigate firewall.
§ Keep tight security on a port and traffic signature level.
§ Give precedence to business critical traffic.
o Installed, configured, and administer Fortimail Email Filter.
§ Constantly update black/white lists.
§ Find intrusion attempts and block.
o Installed, configured, and administer FortiAnalyzer traffic analyzer.
o Installed, configured, and administer Microsoft System Security Configuration Manager.
§ Advertised and pushed out Microsoft ForeFront Antivirus.
· Monitors for network intrusions and security breaches; implements and enforces the District’s security policy.
o Continually manage firewall and email filter.
§ Policies on firewall are thoroughly created to the strictest standards.
§ Only basic internet service ports are allowed.
· Establishes standards, guides others and personally configures, installs, and maintains directory structures, security and applications software.
· Designs, develops, installs, configures, maintains and troubleshoots the SAN (Storage Area Network), fiber channel switches, fiber channel and SATA drives, fiber channel cables and associated firmware and software; works with storage vendor on major SAN installs, upgrades and troubleshooting problems.