SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20
Buckboard Parade and Community Festival
7 a.m. – Pancake Breakfast at Bell Memorial Church ($3)
9 a.m. – Parade followed by Festival at Rowland Heights Park from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Grand Marshals: Rowland USD Former Supt. Maria Ott, Rowland High School Teacher Leslie Phillips and Southlands Christian School Superintendent Glenn Duncan will arrive on the Wells Fargo Stagecoach!
Saturday, October 20th - It's time for the Buckboard Days Parade and Community Festival in Rowland Heights! This year it is bigger than ever with more than 70 entries – more horses, floats and entertainment! The parade begins at 9 a.m. at the corner of Nogales Street and Colima Road in Rowland Heights. It marches East on Colima and ends at Rowland Heights Park (1500 Banida Road) where the community festival will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A pancake breakfast sponsored by the Hacienda Heights Kiwanis and Walnut Valley Rotary Club will be held at 7 a.m. in the parking lot of Bell Memorial Church on Nogales. The cost is $3 per person.
BUCKBOARD PARADE THEME: "A Diverse Community United in Service"
The community is saluting educators and education in Rowland Heights. In August, Dr. Ott retired as the Superintendent of the Rowland Unified School District.
Leslie Phillips, a teacher at Rowland High School, was chosen from an essay submitted by student Jasper Luong, nominating her as a Grand Marshal. Mr. Duncan is well known as the Superintendent of the Southlands Christian School. This private school offers a Christian education from preschool to high school.
The educators will be joined by over 70 other entrants in the grand procession. Bell Memorial Church will be a parade participant in the parade, celebrating their 100th anniversary. They will be presenting special awards to the school bands. Another new entry this year will be the Hermanos Banuelos Charro Team Equestrian team from the Rose Parade. There will also be a colorful dancing dragon, floats, specialty cars, and marching bands from the local schools.
The parade has been organized by the Rowland Heights Community Coordinating Council and the Rowland Heights Chinese Association. SueAnn Tai and Lynne Ebenkamp are co-chairs of the event this year.
*The community festival is organized by the Rowland Council PTA and the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation. It will feature more than 40 booths, Food Vendors (including Nogales HS Choir and Football Boosters, Jesus Es Amor, Rowland Heights Day Camp and Rowland Heights Park Teen Program) and Entertainment - a Mechanical Bull, Face Painting, Stilt Walker, Jugglers, Games and Crafts, along with performances by Karen’s Kids, Tai Chi Exercise Health Group, Skate Connection, Tai Chi Exercise Health Group and Southlands Christian School Choirs.
Parade information can be found on the buckboard parade blog at http://buckboarddayparade.blogspot.com.
Rowland Heights Buckboard Days Parade Includes….
· L.A. County Sheriff's Explorer Color Guard
· United States Congressman Ed Royce
· Nogales High School and Telesis Academy Band
· California State Assemblyman Curt Hagman
· L.A. County 4th District Supervisor Don Knabe's Field Deputy Dickie Simmons
· Walnut Mayor Mary Su
· Mt. San Antonio College
· Wells Fargo Bank
· Grand Marshals aboard the Wells Fargo Stagecoach
· Rowland Heights Community Coordinating Council
· Rowland Heights Chinese Association
· Rowland Unified School District Elementary Beginning Band
· Rowland Unified School District Board of Education
· Rowland Unified School District Superintendent & Cabinet
· Rowland Unified School District Elementary Intermediate Band
· L.A. County Sheriff's Captain David Halm & the Youth Athletic League
· Joy of Learning Academy
· Whittier Hospital Medical Center
· First General Bank
· State Farm Diamond Ranch Insurance
· United Pacific Waste
· Bell Memorial United Methodist Church
· Rowland Water District
· Southlands Christian School
· Plum Crazy Ladies of Rowland Heights
· Puente Hills Hyundai
· Walnut Valley Water District
· STC Management
· Devry University
· American Youth Soccer Organization Region 215
· Valley Vista Services
· A+ Plumbing
· Alvarado Matadors Band
· Miss Taiwan World
· Tai Chi Exercise
· Anthony Chance 1929 Model A Ford phaeton
· FORUS Foundation
· Rorimer Elementary Royals
· Senior Pathfinders Club
· Puente Hills Mall
· Bassett Park Bobcats
· Brittany Cota 1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible
· Cub Scout Pack 755
· Giano Gladiators Band
· Gary Johnson 1959 Dodge Convertible
· Rowland Neighborhood Girl Scouts
· Meals On Wheels
· Kasey Acres Equestrian Center
· Kenny Lee 1930 Ford
· Miss Taiwanese American
· Legal Shield Team Parent
· Jellick Elementary
· Rowland High School Band
· Rowland Heights Raiders Football & Cheer
· Oxford School
· Rowland Heights Library
· Hermanos Banuelos Charro Team \ Equestrian Group
· San Gabriel Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce
· Walnut Valley Rotary
· Educational Tiny Tot Train
· San Angelo Park Sparks Cheer Squad
· The Skate Connection
· Jay Chen for Congress
· Rowland Heights Youth Baseball
· Rowland High School Pep Squad & L.A.
· San Gabriel Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce
· Foundation for Disabled Youths
· Veterans of Foreign Wars